2.10.2009

Not for the faint of heart

I like beer. I like all kinds of beer and as I get older, I like darker beer. My current favorites are Samuel Smith's Oatmeal Stout and Newcastle Brown Ale. I think I like the Oatmeal Stout better but it's hard to find in Salina. Recently I was able to get my hands on a Goose Island beer called Bourbon County Stout. And stout it is. The 4-pack cost me $20 as it is a limited release... but this is no ordinary beer. It's aged 100 days in old bourbon barrels, offers a slight whisky taste with a smooth finish, and is black as night. Kimmie almost got sick just smelling it. But it's good. Not a sit-down-and-drink-all-four-of-them-is-one-sitting beer, it's 13% alcohol after all, but a have-one-after-a-rough-day beer... it's meant to be savored and enjoyed. The label even says its taste improves with age. I don't know that I'll have it long enough to find out, so I'll trust them on that one.

D

1 comment:

JayhawkMama said...

I am also a big fan of the dark brews...you should try the Oatmeal Stout at Free State Brewery sometime if you're ever around the Larryville area.