Dad just called. Her time on this earth has passed. My last living grandparent died this evening after surgery. She was a remarkable lady. Caring for my papa from 1979 until his death in 1997 took a lot out of her. But through it all, she was a saint. I have many fond memories of her. Her red Torino. Spending all day at the nursing home where she worked. Phone calls, the many phone calls. One at two in the morning to tell me, "Wait Grandma, the tornado sirens are sounding...", "I know Dee, that's why I called." She loved to track the weather. The last conversation I had with her, she wanted to know how much rain we got. She was my final tie to Oklahoma -- besides uncles, aunts, and cousins. This is the end of an era. No more Thanksgivings, no more Chirstmases -- all of the constants from my childhood are gone. She's with papa now. She was scared about this surgery. I think she knew what was coming. She didn't want to go, but that is one thing we can't control. With her passing, there are relatives that I will probably never see again. Second cousins that took care of grandma, mowed her lawn, trimmed her trees. They loved her as much as I did, but they had the advantage of being closer. She will be missed. The kids took it hard. K immediately went to the photos, JD cried. He loved her. He was her only great-grandson. Kim was pregnant when papa died. We told her weeks after he passed. I think she held a special place in her heart for JD because of that. I will miss looking at her many pictures. She could tell you the name of almost anyone in those photos. Times like this always make you ask why. This week has been full of anxious moments. Now this. It makes you stop and think and pray and cry. My world is changing. I am no longer anyone's grandson. I'm lucky. I'm 38. Some people face that reality much earlier. I have been blessed.

I love you, Grandma!
D
5 comments:
Dee,
I'm soo sorry to hear about your grandmother. Your words were beautiful and must have been very hard to right so suddenly. I drove over to your house right after i read it to check on you guys, but the lights were off, so i'll try and stop tomorrow! Love you all and you're all in my prayers.
We're sorry to hear about your loss. You are in our thoughts and prayers. The Holecek's
Your Grandmother was special, just like her grandson. Keeping your family in my thoughts and prayers. lmk
So sorry to hear about your grandmother. She was such a sweet lady. Many times when I have been at your house she would call and she would visit with me like I had known her forever. Cherish the memories. Hug the kids for me. Jane
Dear Dee and Family,
So sorry to hear of your Grandmother's passing. You wrote a wonderful tribute to her, made me feel like I knew her. Remember when Kim and you were married I believe I took a good picture of your Grandparent's at the reception. They were a delight. My thought and prayers will be with you and your family at this difficult time. You will always have great memories. Love, Aunt Linda L.
Post a Comment