4.03.2009

R is for Reading

I am not, or at least was not, what you would call an avid reader. Sure, I read the newspaper, which makes me a dying breed, I read road signs, and I read e-mails (most of the time). But to sit down and read a book, for pleasure, has not been high on my list of things I enjoy doing. For example, I took a Holocaust Lit class in college with Kim -- she did all the reading for the two of us and I still got out of the class with a "C". I think it still irritates her, so don't mention this if you see her! Like I said, reading was not high on my to-do list. But about two months ago, I picked up a book that was given to me by a co-worker -- A Walk in the Woods, by Bill Bryson. I loved it! And since have enjoyed other books. Who knew that reading could be so enjoyable? Someone should inform people like me, who rely on their wife (or girlfriend at the time) to do all reading for the two of us, that reading is fun!

Since A Walk in the Woods, I have read The Life and Times of the Thunderbolt Kid and I'm a Stranger Here Myself -- both by Bill Bryson. Last night I finished The Incomplete and Inaccurate History of Sports by Kenny Mayne of ESPN fame. Today, I checked out a book from the library. It's true, I did. I am out of control. Before making my selection, I had to renew my library card -- it seems that they close the account after a period of inactivity, again, who knew -- and pay a fine on the last thing I checked out because it was returned late: Barney's Number Friends. I guess it had been a while!

I find reading to be relaxing, especially with the stress of work and the stress the economy puts on work. I simply put my feet up and read, sometimes for hours on end. Sometimes I even read on the weekends. I even took my a book with me when we went on spring break -- and read it, too! That's when I picked up the Kenny Mayne book. My wife was shopping for clothes and I bought a book. Crazy. I sometimes tell Kim what the books are about so that I can begin to repay her for the help she gave me in college. She doesn't see it that way though, she just finds in annoying -- especially if I read several pages verbatim instead of paraphrasing! So much for payback.

D

No comments: