3.30.2009

Now this is a race! Who's in?

This post is specifically for Kimmie, Linda M, Kevin, Steff, Mark, and Sarah with an "H":

I know some of you like to get together and run obscene distances for no apparent reason as sort of a perverted family bonding time. So for next year, I put forth the following challenge: We'll take a road trip to Raleigh, NC, Matthew, Andrew, Jim, and I (and anyone else that wants to go) will wait in one of the local taverns, and the rest of you (see list above) can run this four mile race. It seems easy enough: Run four miles through the NC State Campus with a break at the halfway point and complete the race in under 1 hour. Are you in? Good. I forgot to tell you that at the halfway mark you have to eat 1 dozen Krispy Kremes. To not get disqualified you have to keep them down on the run back.

The race is called the Krispy Kreme Challenge. You can read the entire story, complete with video, on ESPN.com! The race began in 2004 with a dozen runners. This years event had over 5,000. The winner was Eric Mack who finished in 28:09. He is also a member of the Wolfpack track team. He didn't stick around for the awards ceremony because he didn't want his coach to know he had run the race.

It is all for a good cause: The race raised $35,000 for the North Carolina Children's Hospital.

ROAD TRIP!

D

2 comments:

kevink said...

EWWWWWwW! I can't stand the Krispy Kremes anyway. I sure don't want to run, down some and run again with the threat of them coming up again. I think, along with the Shamrock Shuffle, we should aspire next year to the Brew to Brew.
http://www.brewtobrew.com/

Speaking of food: I was planning to respond to the previous post you had but I guess while awaiting the apocalyptic STORM OF THE CENTURY that never came I got off track. Now I know that you corporate folk do things differently than us lowly educators but they now have these unique items called "lunch bags" that are made to transport foods on the go. You can even, as I understand it, buy ice packs to put in them to keep things cool as you travel. Again, what would a teacher know; we just take our lunch in such a manner every day. Also, you know those fast food places carry salads and such now days.

Anonymous said...

I don't know, I kinda like both. Adds some variety to the monotony of running. Wish the Krispy Kreme run was closer though. And the Lawrence to KC run. Its something we should think about for next year. I would Definitely the flattest stretch!! lmk