3.27.2009

Eating on the run

This week was another heavy travel week for me. 342 miles on Tuesday, 330 on Wednesday, and 410 yesterday. Besides sitting in the car for far too long, the trips are mostly tolerable. I say mostly because it depends on the direction I travel that greatly influences the enjoyment of the trip. This week was a good example. Tuesday was enjoyable -- east then north; Wednesday was not too bad -- north; Yesterday was difficult; south then east. Kim and I left Southeast Kansas 10 years ago and one thing remains -- there is still not an easy way to get there from here. The biggest difference is the availability of quality dining establishments in the different areas that I travel. When I travel east I have a wide selection of healthy options for lunch. Usually, I look for a Panera when in Topeka or Kansas City. I find their sandwiches very much to my liking and the soup or salad is a refreshing change of pace. When I am in Nebraska I look for a sub shop or at the very least a Runza. When I travel to Southeast Kansas, which I have done several times in the last month, I end up eating fastfood. Many reasons contribute to this... One, there's not much other than fast food that is relatively quick. Two, it just took me four hours to get there, just in time for my meeting(s). Three, once my meetings are over, I need to hurry back to Salina for Soccer, or Baseball, or just so Kim can get to class. Yesterday I dined on a Sonic Burger and Tots at 65 miles an hour. Exceptionally tasty, but artery clogging none the less.

Happy eating.

D

No comments: