I love my wife. Ours isn't a relationship that has grown stale after almost 15 years of marriage. In 1991, she quickly became my best friend and she still is my best friend. How many guys are lucky enough to say that their wife enjoys football just as much, if not more, than they do? I can. We love going to games together -- Salvation Army, (Insert Jr. High if JD plays when he gets there), High School, College, Pro. It doesn't matter. She is the one that suggested I get a Harley. "Really?" you ask yourself. "Yes." She has her own, too. I like to think that she didn't dislike riding behind me, but wanted her own sense of independence on the open road because that's the way she is. We both have the same love of the outdoors. She runs, I bike. I tried running, but didn't like it as well as biking. She has tried biking but likes running better. We like camping. Walks. Time spent at the lake. We like to have fun. We like to travel. We make each other laugh. She likes to spend money and I think she has enough shoes! She thinks I should exercise more and I think she is HOT. So we are great together. "Where is this leading?" you might be asking... I'll tell you.
I pride myself on my gift giving capabilities. Ever since she told me in 1995 that I didn't need to get her anything for Valentine's day (and I didn't), I have put an extraordinary effort into my gift giving. I like to think she is always amazed at the ideas I come up with. After 4 years of half-birthday gifts she is still surprised when I present her with a gift every November 3rd. I will NEVER forget the expression on her face when she realized I had made a down-payment on a Harley for her 38th birthday. I've presented her with a tennis bracelet, a Nike runners pack, earrings, an anniversary band, a leather coat, a photo book from 1991 to present, trips to B and B's, and that black and orange Harley, just to name a few. I even bought here a sterling silver bracelet shaped like a Mobius strip with the scripture verse from our wedding engraved on it. Everything is always carefully thought out. All that creates a problem though -- how do I top those gifts?
I am proud of my wife, exceedingly so. While raising two kids, working full-time, and training for a half-marathon, she is diligently working on her masters at Kansas Wesleyan. She will graduate in May. When she graduated from K-State all I got her was a dozen roses. What do you get someone who earns a Masters?
In May, she also turns forty. She doesn't look it, but I've seen her birth certificate, it's true! But the thought crosses my mind: What do you get someone who turns 40? It surely has to be a better present that say 38 or 39! See my problem? I set the bar pretty high at 38.
June 4th is our 15th Anniversary. The "Traditional Anniversary Gift" is Crystal. The "Modern Anniversary Gift" is a watch. Pah-leeeze. My wife is not a "crystal" person and she would misplace a watch -- probably by June 15th. So, again, what to get?
Then here comes her Half-Birthday and then Christmas... although I have plenty of time to think those through! Being a great gift-giver is not easy. Those untrained in the art should not attempt it without a net. Besides that, it makes your head hurt, no matter how much practice you have!
I love you, Kimmie!
D
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
1 comment:
Kimberly Kay you are one lucky lady. Cherish what you have in such a wonderful husband. Enjoy every minute of your time together. Uncle Linda
Post a Comment