5.27.2009

Been a while, but not as long as Kimmie…

Since I was last with you, I have accomplished a lot…

On the weekend after my last post on May 15, I painted the house, just the gable ends, not the brick – that would be silly! Then last weekend – Memorial Day Weekend, not Labor Day, like I posted on my Facebook page – I tore down my picket fence in the back yard and replaced it with a privacy fence. After I finished the fence on Monday morning, I built a cover for what will eventually be an outdoor entertaining space, or at least a space where I can relax and drink a beer without basketballs hitting me in the head. My plan is to add river rock and stones and place our patio chairs and fire pit in the area. Eventually, I will add electricity so Kim can have her Margarator™ out there too.

We also made a quick trip to Coffeyville on Saturday to see some friends. It was a very fast trip down and back, but we had a good time.

Some of you probably have heard my stories about the old guy across the street – he can't hear, but loves to wander over and visit. The problem is the conversations are usually one-sided because he can't hear what you say. Since our property valuation notices were delivered at the end of March, he has been over three times to ask if mine went up. I usually respond by telling him mine went down. If he could hear, it would get him fired up. He has informed me that he has appealed his every year. The best parts of his conversations are his "obvious" questions. On May 16 – house painting day – he wandered over to talk to me. I was on the ladder, brush in one hand applying paint to the house and can of paint in the other: "You painting your house?" Nope, just brushing the dirt off so it looks better! On Saturday, he came over to inspect my fence work. I had set new posts, put the horizontal runners on, and was screwing the pickets to the would-be fence: "You replacing your fence?" Nope, I'm building a fort for the impending Armageddon! Then later, as I was rushing to beat darkness, he wandered over and wanted to discuss today's youth. As he approached I asked about the Garage Sale he had on Friday morning: "Did you make any money with your sale?" His response: "How do you keep your pickets all the same height?" Did I mention that it's easier to talk to a rock?

Baseball and softball are in full swing. JD’s game tonight is rained out, but practice keeps us busy enough. Kay practiced Monday, JD Sunday and last night. JD has two games next week and Kay has three… Welcome to summer.

If you need me this weekend, I will be unavailable. Kim and I are going to KC for our 15th Anniversary. Can you believe it? She’s put up with me for 15 years – 18 if you count dating. We'll be at The Legends eating and shopping but – I am so smart – we are taking the Harley, so Kim can't buy too much!

D

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Be Safe And Have A Great Time!!! lmk