I had to rant about this after I saw the video, but I would encourage you to scroll down and read "Do the Dew" as well; I had to post again today after seeing this.
I clicked on a story on CNN based on the headline: "Teen thinks yearbook shows WAY too much". Now, since Kim teaches Journalism and Yearbook, I am always intrigued by news stories regarding the hyper-sensitivity of communities in regard to school publications. Often times irrational parents try hard to get good teachers fired over what they think are outrageous things published by teens -- Kim has a friend who found herself in hot water at my old High School over a story about tattoos and body piercings... Other times there is justification for outrage, like the Central High "Sex" issue of The Pylon...
This story it turns out is about a young lady who chose not to wear underwear to school one day while sporting a very short dress. While taking a picture for pottery club for publication in the yearbook, the camera catches a glimpse of what she says is her "hoohaw." Administrators say it's not her "hoohaw", it's a shadow. Either way, mom wants all of the yearbooks collected, including the ones that have been distributed to seniors, destroyed, and reprinted without the photo of her daughter.
In the news video, the mom is mad, and understandably so. But she has directed here anger in the wrong direction. She is mad at the school. My question? What about your daughter. She is the one that CHOSE not to wear underwear. This is a good life lesson, like my mom always told me: "Wear Underwear." Well, kinda like that, she always admonished me to wear "clean" underwear. I guess she thought that just saying "wear underwear" was one of those things that went without saying. The mom also says she doesn't want her daughter to be embarrassed... so what does Mom do? Call the local media, CNN picks it up, and now EVERYONE knows that her daughter doesn't wear underwear. I also find it funny that they blur her face, yet she went to school with no underwear on. That's funny! She may not have anticipated that she would be bearing all in the yearbook, but she had to know someone during the course of the day would see something...
This young lady has likely learned a lesson. I doubt that she treks to school commando again. Lesson learned. Now her mom on the other hand...
D
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
1 comment:
I saw this video earlier today, so I'm assuming you watched the same one. Two things:
1. There is large collection of liquor behind the Mom and Daughter during the interview. Nice! (note sarcasm)
2. The stupid girl STILL hasn't learned how to sit with her legs closed.
Post a Comment