5.11.2009

Pomp and Circumstance and Moms and Fires and Chores and Baseball and Naps

Kimmie graduated this weekend, I think. Her name was in the program – even if Delmar couldn’t find it by looking for Kimberly K. Kohls – but she also had a “#” after her name. That means she is a “Summer 2009 Degree Candidate”. I hope she passes Gender Issues in Sports! All joking aside, she did great. She now possesses something I will likely never hold. I finished school almost 16 years ago and have no desire to return to the classroom setting to gain knowledge. I prefer the life experience method, primarily due to the lack of reading and test taking involved with that method… Congratulations Kimmie.

Mother’s Day was yesterday. But most of you probably know that, unless your kids forgot and you slept through the day. I don’t know how anyone could forget Mom. Or maybe I should say I don’t know how anyone could forget Mom’s Day! It’s everywhere. It has become as commercial as Christmas. Cards, gifts, sales, touching news stories, candy, lights, trees, etc. You can’t look anywhere without seeing a reference to Mom. Every retailer in America had a Mother’s Day sale. Every restaurant had a Mother’s Day special. Every kid made a gift in school, or scouts, or church. Heck, even the Minneapolis Race Track was letting moms in for free yesterday. So if your mom is a redneck, you could have taken her to the races without hurting your wallet. Amazon.com e-mailed me yesterday and informed me that it was not too late, there were still some great, last-minute gift ideas that they could supply at discounted prices. Unfortunately there was no mention of “Same Day Delivery”, which would have been important if you wanted to stay out of the dog house. And for those of you that got the shaft yesterday, there is a Salina radio station that is allowing you to call and out your family. If you got the biggest shaft, you’re eligible for great gifts from all of their sponsors.

Saturday, we bought a fire pit. We used the gift card that my mom and dad got us for Christmas. I put it together, built a fire, and sat down to enjoy a beer. Linda and Andrew stopped by and we had a good time celebrating Kimmie’s graduation. It was relaxing to just sit. A good ending to a busy day. By the time we went in, I had enjoyed three beers. Sunday, I woke up with a splitting headache. How can three beers give me a headache? I must be getting old!

I have a number of chores upcoming. I’m not sure where I’ll find the time to do them, but I guess I’ll figure it out. I must mow. I simply must. The lawn has had a considerable amount of rain on it since the last time it was mowed and it’s out of control. But with two baseball practices and two softball practices this week as well as a trip to Southeast Kansas and Northwest Oklahoma on Wednesday, I’m not sure when I’ll get to it. Maybe I should put headlight on my mower and mow in the dark. On top of that, Kay’s room is a mess again… less than a week after I helped her clean her room (and by “helped”, I mean I did it). I folded the clothes last night and tonight will have to find time to hang them up. This weekend I need to paint the house – only four gable ends so it won’t take long, but probably the better part of a day. I am also going to build a privacy fence to replace the one that the wind tore up six weeks ago. I called Kansas OneCall this morning to mark the utilities and had to promise I would not use explosives to dig my post holes! That thought had never occurred to me…

We spent Graduation/Mother’s Day weekend running back and fourth to McPherson. JD had three games in McPherson. Had they won a game Saturday, they would have played four. But given the weather was more suitable for football on Sunday, I’m glad they decided to give both games away in the last inning on Saturday. Yep, it’s true. JD’s team played good baseball for four innings in both games. Unfortunately, both games were five innings in length. Both games were winnable, both games turned on bad fielding. Missed grounders, poor throws, indecisiveness in the outfield, and base running errors all contributed to the last inning meltdowns. I think. I missed game two because we had to return to Salina for a birthday party and graduation. Sunday, they played better. Not great, but better. When JD caught the final pop-fly out of the game he was jumping around and pumping his fist like he had just won the World Series. The only thing missing was the dog-pile on the pitchers mound! JDs coach shared with me that he doesn’t know what to do with JD. He seems to have a problem swinging the bat in games. In the cages or at practice he swings at almost everything and hits the ball most of the time. In games, he stands there, with good form and watches the ball go by. In two at bats in the first game Saturday, he swung once. He managed to get to a 3-2 count both times and walked both times, but only swung once. Sunday, I told him that for the rest of the season, he gets $5 for every hit. Sunday he got one hit and flew out once. The fly out was a fluke. He smoked a ball to right and the fielder threw he glove up and caught it. He never moved his feet. 5 feet either way and JD has a triple, but at least he swung the bat.

I love naps. (nice transition, huh) I had a nice nap yesterday listening to the Royals. I just don’t get to take them as often as I like. Kids, chores, busy schedules, and work greatly limit the amount of naps I get. I try, believe me, I try, but it always seems like there is something else that needs to be done (see “chores” above). As I get older, I try to get in more naps, but I seem to succeed less and less. I couldn’t sleep last night so this thought kept me awake: If I live to be 80, and I can get in two naps a week, I only have 4,160 potential naps left. If I can only get in one nap a week, that’s about 2,000. If I only get in two naps a month, I have just under 1,000 naps remaining. I do the same thing with hunting – if I hunt 4 weekends in a season (which is what I have been averaging the last few years) and I hunt until I’m sixty, I only have 80 hunting trips left. Hardly seems like I need to be looking for a new bird dog. Weird thoughts, I know. Did I mention I love naps? My unattainable goal of 2 naps a week gives me something to shoot for. It’s good to have goals!

D

No comments: