5.12.2009

Why do girls throw like girls?

I have put on yet another hat this year. I am coaching Kay's U9 Machine Pitch Softball Team. From the progress at the first 5 practices, I may be in for a long year. For the most part they can hit, with a few exceptions. They can also run, although some of them look more like lumber wagons than they do softball players and all of them could get faster. The main problem with the Pink Panthers is that they can't throw or catch. They can't throw hard, they can't throw accurate, and they can't throw far. The accuracy is what scares me. I've been hit twice and almost been hit multiple times. Not only can they not throw, but now I am risking my safety trying to teach them the game of softball. It's also a very good thing that each inning has a 6-run limit. Most of our games will be 18 or 24 to whatever we can score. We are going to have to score, because we won't be able to stop anyone.

My question, as the title of this post would imply, is why do girls throw like girls? I have two theories. One. They are not used to it. Boys grow up throwing balls, rocks, snow, toys, cats, etc. Girls don't. They, for the most part, play with dolls and have tea parties and play hopscotch and jump rope. The throwing motion in boys has been learned from an early age and they are used to the concept of throwing and throwing accurately. Maybe it's just that girls are behind developmentally in their throwing skills and eventually will catch up. My second theory is that there is something structurally that causes them to throw like girls. We all know that girls and boys, or at least women and men, are built differently upstairs. The muscle structure in the chest is different. Not wrong, definitely not wrong, just different. But I'm not talking about a 20-something with a D-cup trying to throw a softball. I don't think Kim would let me coach a softball team of D-Cup 20-somethings, but now I'm off subject. My point is, could there be something in the structure of the muscles, how the shoulder muscles connect to the chest that causes girls to throw that way? I know it can be overcome, otherwise there wouldn't be college softball. I just don't know how to get past it with 8-year-olds...

Maybe I could get a stimulus grant to study women's chests for the benefit of humanity! Once the findings are published, youth coaches and PE teachers around the globe would be grateful for the incite into how to teach their girls to throw a softball...

D

No comments: