Last night JD had his Fifth Grade Band Concert at 5:30. It was nice, with one exception. I have never heard "When the Saints Go Marching In" played as slow as they did last night. It sounded more like the Saints were crawling. JD is first chair trumpet. Pretty good for someone who NEVER practices outside of the 20 minutes at school twice a week. I'm not sure if his first chair status is because he is a musical prodigy or because the other three trumpet players have quit! Probably the latter.
After being serenaded by the fifth graders, we took him home so he could change and go to The City. It was fifth grade night. If you are not familiar with The City, it is a teen club in downtown Salina. They have Wii games, TVs, a dance floor, balcony, indoor basketball court, pool tables, and a snack bar. The kids were invited so that when they are in Middle School they will frequent the club and spend their parents' hard earned money. Kim chauffeured him to the club and stayed for about an hour to make sure he was behaving. I went back at 9:00 to pick him up. When we entered the car to head home I asked how the evening was. His responded very excitedly: "GREAT! I had a Mountain Dew Voltage and a Mountain Dew!" Dad’s response: "When you can't sleep tonight, don't wake me up!"
For an hour he tossed and turned before he got mad… and when he gets mad he can't sleep. I shut my bedroom door for some piece and quite. That made him start bellowing, loudly, to get attention. That's when we had a talk. "Did I not tell you that you were not going to sleep well after drinking two Mountain Dews? If you wake your sister up, you're going to be in real trouble. Just lay down and relax. You'll go to sleep eventually." He's funny when he can't sleep. If he had hair, he would be pulling it out, that's how worked up he gets. He did go to sleep. I'm not sure what time, but he did. And slept until 5:30 this morning and then went back to sleep until 7:00. It was a time to explain that was the consequence of his decision to drink two Mountain Dews right before bed time.
D
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment