This weekend was exciting and fun-filled. The highlights follow:
Friday we had a garage sale. We moved a lot of junk. Almost everything was priced at a quarter, so we didn't get rich. We stayed open until 7:00 on Friday. Kevin, Cindy and Linda were kind enough to close up shop while we went to Kay's softball game. They opened again on Saturday, but rain held profits to about $2. By 10:00 they were hauling everything to Goodwill or the trash. The rain really slowed the traffic Saturday morning.
We couldn't help in the rain Saturday because JD had a tournament in McPherson. We started early to beat the rain, which was already there... We did finish our game, in the rain, with puddles on the field. After the 8:30 games they decided there would be a 2-hour delay. Finally at 1:00 they cancelled the tournament and rescheduled for next weekend. Good call since McPherson had tornadoes Saturday evening.
I was disappointed that the tournament was cancelled. I was going to watch the Miken Jaxx. They are sponsored by Miken, a company that makes baseball bats. I wanted to see what the fuss was about, but no such luck. Plus, they will probably not return next weekend. I imagine that the elite teams that were in the tourney will be playing elsewhere next weekend. Oh well.
Cancelling the tourney meant that JD could go camping as scheduled with Troop 22 instead of arriving late. We went to "shakedown" Saturday night. The boys were all supposed to bring their gear and forms to speed things Sunday morning before they left. I had never been to a shakedown and thought we'd show up, drop off our stuff, turn in the forms and be gone in 30 minutes. 1 hour and 45 minutes later I was bored to tears. We went through the boys foot lockers one by one to make sure that they packed everything they needed... are you kidding me? They gave us a list. We checked it. Shouldn't everyone be that responsible and not waste my time watching twelve year old boys get embarrassed when they pull their underwear out to show they packed it?
Sunday morning we dropped JD off at the appointed time -- 10:30 -- so they could leave at 11:00 AM sharp. We were even warned: "Be here because we will not wait on anyone!". At 11:30, Kim and I hugged JD and left. The boys were not close to leaving. You talk about a disorganized bunch. I hope they found Kirwin Reservoir!
After we left, Kim, Kay, and I headed to Manhattan for Father's Day. We ate at Buffalo Wild Wings. We walked around the mall where Kim and Kay both bought something -- Happy Father's Day! Then we went back to Aggieville for ice cream from Cold Stone and another purchase for Kim. I would have probably liked to have gone fishing or rode my Harley, but the heat, and humidity, was simply too much for extended outdoor activity. The kids bought me a watch. It's water resistant up to 100 meters -- for the cruise. Last night the three of us went on a 5-mile bike ride. All in all, the day was nearly perfect.
This morning I rode an additional nine miles. My total toward my 200 mile goal is 126. I think I'll make it. Then I'll have to set a new goal when I return.
To close this out, I got an e-mail this weekend that made me laugh. It's funny, at least to me. Spam is usually funny because the off-shore companies that send it don't understand English and create double meanings with the sentence structure. The offending spam said this: "Cheap Watches to match all of your clothing." I read this to say "cheap watches will match my cheap clothes." How do they know my clothes are cheap?
D
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment