Back on June 10th, I updated you on JD's experience with the bungee cord. How all 75 lbs of him were drug across the basketball court as part of his strength training program. And about the very attractive strawberry it left on his hip...
Since then, he has continued to have minor-medical emergencies -- or should I say they are emergencies in his eyes.
Tuesday he cut his foot at the pool. When I arrived home from work he announced: "Look Dad, I cut my foot today. It hurt bad!" Kim said he used two band-aids on it before they got home. Now I'm as sympathetic as the next dad when it come to injuries, but I must admit that this was over-blown. I could not see it from a distance of three feet. JD had to put his foot within 10 inches of my face for me to even locate the "gash". It literally was about the size of a grain of rice. Seriously? Two band-aids for this? He survived by the way...
Last night at his baseball game he took a ball off his forehead. Not in the batters box. Not stealing home. Nope. JD was playing first. The catcher rocketed the ball his way to attempt to get the runner that was leading off first. JD attempted to make the tag but he forgot one thing. The ball. Milliseconds before the ball's arrival in his mitt, he applied the tag while the ball bounded off his head and went 8 feet straight up. Through tears he found the ball and and held the runner from advancing further than second. Still, first rule of baseball: catch the ball. One other thing... keep your feet on the ground. JD jumped to catch the ball. Had he stayed on the ground the ball would have sailed slightly over his head instead of hitting his head. He was OK, and the coaches had fun with it -- his new nickname is "Knot head" or "Lumpy".
Today JD called me: "Dad, I cut myself. What do I do?" "Cut yourself? What did you do?" Kim wasn't home, so the boy scout called me for help. "It's not bad" he says. "I was eating yogurt..." My son managed to cut himself eating yogurt! "...And I was trying to get all of the yogurt out of the cup and cut myself on the foil lid. It's between my middle and index fingers. And it's bleeding." I told him to wipe it off with a paper towel and wait until Kim got home. I was still stuck on how minor the cut must have been. I have never seen a foil cut that could rival a paper cut so it could not have been that serious. Again... he survived.
Next week I'm sending him to Scout Camp at Kirwin. I'll wish him well before he leaves and send lots of band-aids!
D
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment