JD, all 75 lbs of him, is taking a strength training program at the Salina YMCA. They don't do weight training, but rather conditioning. There's some running, some yoga, some aerobic exercises, etc. Nothing heavy duty, just things to strengthen what muscles they do have, and get them in better shape.
He's having fun. He's working hard. And according to the trainers, that's more than most. They said he tries hard at everything. He participates. Again, which is more than some. Apparently, some of the boys sit out and watch. I guess they're trying to strengthen their butts.
Today, they were using bungee chords as resistance. The way I understand it, Hope, the 105lb trainer with abs of steel and buns to match, brought JD a stretched bungee. He took hold, Hope let go and JD was yanked off his feet and drug across the gym at the chord recoiled. I may have some of the details incorrect, but what is obvious is that JD has a giant strawberry on his hip bone.
You would think he had cut his leg off at the knee. All he could do this afternoon was lay on his right side with his hip in the air. He wasn't sure he could play baseball. He certainly thought he could not run, or walk, or sit, or even bathe. He tried to get sympathy to no avail. Kim and I gave him none -- I try to slap it everytime I walk by. And to top it off... Kay says to him: "JD! Stop being a weenie." This coming from one tough cookie. Remember, she got five stitches in a gash on her head and never shed a tear. Well, except for when she found out she'd have to leave shcool.
"You tell him Kay!"
On a more sour note... I had a minor accident today. As I was leaving the Journal parking lot today, a utility pole jumped out in front of me. Darn pole! I hit it with the ride side of my front bumper and then knocked out the turn lamp and put a sizeable dent in the right fender next to the lamp. I wasn't going to worry about it, but have since decided to pony up the $500 deductible and have it fixed. It only has 74,000 miles on it, so it might as well look good. Kay doesn't believe that the pole jumped in front of me, but that's my story and I'm sticking to it. I was accused of facebooking while driving, but I can't even blame it on that... I just hit a pole -- that jumped in front of me...
D
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment